The FINN team offers twenty years of experience in crisis communication, both on the media side and on the customer side. These experiences provide us with a unique insight and feel for the course and resolution of a reputational crisis. We continue to build on this solid basis by researching best practices and theoretical foundations of crisis communication. FINN maintains close contacts with leading academics in the field of crisis communication and has developed innovative solutions to make faster and more effective decisions in times of crisis.
Crisis communication: our experience
Over the years, we have assisted clients in various types of crises, such as
- Cyber security, hacking, phishing, CEO fraud and data breaches
- Safeguarding and #metoo
- Reorganisations (Law-Renault), divestments, mergers and acquisitions, strikes and lockouts
- Product recalls
- Consumer complaints
- Regulatory issues and crises
- Litigation communication
- Stakeholder challenges by activist groups, e.g. NIMBY-groups, environmental movements, consumer associations, trade unions,...
- Top management changes (board, C-level)
- Operational crises such as fire, fatal accident,...
Crisis communication: before the crisis
- Crisis communication plan: crisis communication requires thorough preparation. Every organisation, large or small, benefits from a crisis communication plan. Based on an analysis of the types of risk to which your organisation is exposed, we draw up a crisis communication plan that suits your organisation. In such a crisis communication plan, we describe the types of crises that can affect your company, we appoint the members of the crisis communication teams (CCT) and we describe escalation and decision-making procedures during the crisis, among other things.
- Reputational reinforcement ("bolstering"): if we find that a company is vulnerable in one or more areas, we can propose to proactively strengthen the company's reputation.
- Issue management: see our blog on issue management
- Stakeholder mapping
- Media training: see our media training offer
Crisis communication: during the crisis
During a reputational crisis, it is especially important to respond in a timely and efficient manner. FINN helps customers by, among other things:
- Monitoring and environmental analysis
- Crisis communication: strategy and crisis response (based, among other things, on game theory)
- Media relations and stakeholder communication, copywriting
- Q&A - questions and answers
- Media training & coaching
- Social media and digital communication
Crisis communication: after the crisis
After a crisis, it is important to take a critical look at the crisis communication plan in order to improve and strengthen it.
- Lessons learned
- Process optimization
- Crisis communication plan update
- Update of corporate message catalog
- Possible: reputational rebuild